Monday, December 8, 2008

Irrational Pessimism

Irrational Pessimism
This has nothing to do with education (other than the diminished capacity for paying for it) but the phrase “irrational pessimism” was too good not to take note of. In recent years I’ve made a concerted effort to be a less sarcastic and a more cheerfully optimistic girl, mostly because I feel like I [...]

This has nothing to do with education (other than the diminished capacity for paying for it) but the phrase “irrational pessimism” was too good not to take note of. In recent years I’ve made a concerted effort to be a less sarcastic and a more cheerfully optimistic girl, mostly because I feel like I should grow the hell up.

It’s gone mostly well, but sometimes my morbid sense of humor or my cynical side comes out. Today when I was reading the CS Monitor the concept of irrational pessimism brought to mind an entire nation of cranky, pessimistic grouches wandering around, bitching and moaning about the nasty, brutish shortness of life and it cracked me up. Perhaps that’s funny only to me…

Posted by Alexa Harrington

photo credit: noppadol paothong


0 comments: